Provinding increased security and greater global acceptance for your NBT Bank Debit Card.
Chip Card Technology Features
We’re committed to providing our customers with secure and convenient ways to conduct their banking. That’s why we have integrated Chip Technology as a new standard for NBT Bank Debit Cards. Your debit card features a small, built-in microchip that contains the same information that’s stored in the magnetic stripe on the back of your card.
To protect you from unauthorized use of your card, the chip that is embedded in the card adds an additional layer of protection against fraud for purchases made in person at a merchant. Information programmed into the chip is personalized for your account and each transaction generates a unique code, adding an extra safeguard against unauthorized use and counterfeiting.
Greater Global Acceptance.
Chip Technology also offers you increased global acceptance of your NBT Bank Debit Card, providing you added convenience and security when traveling abroad.
Using Your New Chip Card.
Purchases at a Chip-Enabled terminal.
- If you are unsure whether a merchant accepts Chip Cards, swipe your card as you normally would and follow the prompts. If the terminal is chip-enabled, it will ask you to insert your card to continue.
- Simply insert your NBT Bank Debit Card into the reader with the chip facing up.
- Leave your card in the reader and follow the prompts on the screen.
- If a signature is required, simply sign when prompted and always remember to take your card when your transaction is complete.
- If a merchant has not made the transition to a Chip-Enabled terminal, you can still simply swipe your card and sign to complete your transaction just like you do today.
Online, in-app or phone purchases.
Provide your card information as you have done in the past. Chip Cards will not change the way payments are made online, in-app or by telephone. You may also continue to use Apple Pay®, Samsung Pay® and Android PayTM just as you do today.
At an ATM.
Review procedures for using your chip-enabled NBT Bank Debit Card at an NBT Bank ATM Machine.