With the holiday season in full swing, consumers are spending at a record rate. During the 2018 holiday season, researchers estimate that consumer spending is going up by 15%! This is great news for retailers; however, it remains important for consumers to be vigilant of scams. NBT Bank wants to give you the tools to shop safe online this holiday season. Learn more from the tips below.
- Make sure websites are secure. You can check by making sure the web address begins with “https”. You should also see a small padlock image in the address bar.
- Keep your mobile software up to date. Mobile ordering is becoming more and more common, so make sure your phone is secure.
- Check out as a guest whenever possible. It is always best to share as little information as possible when you’re shopping online.
- Use unique passwords for each site. Fraudsters can quickly gain access to multiple accounts if they share the same password.
- Enable two-step verification. This provides an extra security measure so there is no unauthorized access on your account.
- Monitor your bank account. Make sure to keep an eye on your account for any unusual activity and notify your financial institution seems out of the norm.
Here at NBT Bank, we are committed to protecting your information. If you notice any unusual transactions on your account or believe your account information might be compromised, notify NBT Bank immediately by calling 1-800-NBT-BANK (1-800-628-2265). Customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.