Use Mobile Banking Safely and Securely
The convenience of Mobile Banking counts to you and your safety in using this convenience counts to us. While NBT Bank Mobile Banking offers you the ability to check your account balances, pay bills, transfer funds between accounts and more from anywhere at any time, it's important to take the proper precautions to protect your personal and financial information or that of your business when using Mobile Banking.
Please read the information below for important tips on how to keep your personal or business information safe and secure.
Protection through your Mobile Device
If you own a mobile device, follow these tips to make sure you are keeping safety and security first before and while enjoying the device's features:
- Secure your phone by setting up a password or PIN. Most mobile phones let you set up a password or PIN, requiring that it's entered into your phone prior to use.
- Beware of trojans and spyware. Trojans and spyware are viruses and software that, when installed on your computer or mobile phone, are used by fraudsters to steal personal details.
- Install security software. Just like your computer, mobile phones are vulnerable to viruses, some of which can give fraudsters access to your personal information. Make sure your device has the latest security protection. This may require synching your devices with a computer.
- Keep your mobile software up to date. Download and install software updates for your phone from your mobile phone manufacturer.
- Avoid sharing your mobile phone. If you have to send it off for repairs, take steps to ensure your information remains secure.
- Don't store login credentials. While storing log-in information helps you access your account more quickly, it could also allow fraudsters the same advantage. Protect your account information and personal information by logging out of your mobile banking application each and every time and not allowing your device to store the information for your future use.
- Check the web address. Before making a purchase or conducting a transaction on a mobile device, make sure the site is secure. Web sites that contain "https:" in the web address mean the sites have taken the extra step to secure your personal information.
- Beware of requests for personal information. In addition to fraudulent emails, scams through texting and calling are occurring more often. Requests for personal information through these channels are almost always a scam.
How You Can Protect Yourself
Keep your personal and financial information safe and secure when using Mobile Banking by following the tips below.
- Use unique logins for Online Banker and Mobile Banking. Using unique logins for these separate points of account access will help protect your account user name from being compromised.
- Create nicknames for your accounts. Assigning nicknames to each of your accounts will help ensure that your account number isn't visible to those around you when accessing your account from your phone. It will also ensure that your account numbers or other sensitive information aren't sent via SMS or text messaging.
- Delete Mobile Banking text messages after viewing. After you have received and reviewed the account information you requested via text message, delete the message to ensure the information is not found by others if your phone is lost, stolen or even shared with friends.
- Log Out after each Mobile Banking session. Before exiting or navigating away from Mobile Banking on your mobile device, be sure to take the extra precaution of logging out of your banking session to ensure your account information is not easily accessed if your phone is compromised.
- Set up account alerts within Online Banker. Easily monitor your account balances with personalized alert notifications to help you quickly and easily detect fraudulent activity if it occurs.
- Visit NBT Bank's Security Center often. Stay updated on mobile security issues and ways to keep your personal information safe by visiting the NBT Bank Security Center on a regular basis.